100% of lawyers say TellPeople is much better than the usual CPD
TellPeople was created by a lawyer and most of our programming is accredited for professionalism hours.
The content below is also available through one-on-one coaching. Send us a note for current pricing and availability.
Workshop: Get better at talking to everyone
You work hard to find a creative solution for a client's legal problem. You follow their instructions and meet their deadlines. You anticipate problems they don't see, saving them time, money, and grief, they didn't realize was at stake.
- You tell your client all of this and they don't understand.
- You tell potential clients and they don't see the value.
- You tell a room full of colleagues and they'd rather check their phones.
In this workshop, you'll learn how to talk about your ideas using language that makes sense to everyone. Specifically, you'll learn simple tools for doing three things better:
- Thinking about the audience for your ideas
- Getting that audience to listen
- Helping that audience understand
Combining storytelling techniques with brain science and negotiation theory, the tools are simple to learn and easy to practice (because if you can't practice, you won't get better). You'll spend most of the session practicing the tools in scenarios from your life, and in facilitated discussion of that practice.
Time investment: 60, 75, 90, or 180 minutes.
Workshop: Networking and impromptu conversations
You need to meet people in order to grow your practice and service your existing clients. A deep network of professional relationships is critical to a successful, and nourishing, practice. You knows this, and yet so many lawyers:
- Are "anxious" or "afraid" of networking events.
- Find networking "inauthentic", a "waste of time", or a "necessary evil".
- Would much rather be working (i.e., billing).
In this workshop, you'll learn simple tools for networking in ways that are effective, enjoyable, and lead to productive and supportive professional relationships. Specifically, you'll learn:
- How conversations work
- How to find common interest and opportunity
- How to think on your feet
- Specific strategies for effective networking
The workshop combines communication theory with improvisation techniques (i.e., improv games). Participants will learn the basic structure of successful conversations and practice that theory via a series of improv games. Participants will also learn specific strategies for successful networking (e.g., good ways to start/end a conversation, setting reasonable expectations, how to follow-up).
Time investment: 60, 75, 90 or 180 minutes.
Workshop: Talking in front of people
Talking in front of people is difficult for everyone. The anxiety can diminish—over time and with lots of practice—but when you care about your work it never goes away entirely. Not to mention that what makes you a good writer is very different from what makes you a good speaker.
This workshop will make you better at talking in front of people in various contexts. Specifically, you'll learn:
- How to hold a room (energy, confidence, presence)
- What to do with your hands and body
- How to make good use of visual aids (PowerPoint, etc)
- The art of audience interaction
The workshop combines storytelling techniques, brain science, design thinking, and (for the half-day) lots of video feedback. You'll learn how human brains process information, which helps you engage with any audience. We'll spend most of our time workshopping examples from your current work and life, making it easy for you to start using what you learn immediately.
Time investment: 90 or 180 minutes (half-day).
Start getting better
To find out more, including current schedules for workshops, coaching, and consulting, and the prices for same, send a note to: email@example.com.